Steve’s Akaka Falls Farm’s “Lehua Honey” is a 2017 finalist with the Good Food Awards. We would love to thank our beekeeper Lon Lloyd for doing such a great job.
Try some of our farm fresh guava jams. We are harvesting Pink,White and Orange varieties now. Remember some of our mixed Guava jams, Passion Orange Guava (POG), or Guava Orange Pineapple (GOP).They make wonderful starters for Guava juice drinks,smoothies and cocktails. I Love Guava on my baked Salmon.
Michael and Vika showing us some of their summer crop of Organic Cacao.
We use Michael and Vika’s Cacao to make our Cacao Butters. We also use Fire Island Organic Coffee, Corinne Akaka Falls Farms’s Farm Fresh eggs, Organic Sugar and Organic Butter to make our Cacao Coffee Butter.
Passionfruit seasons here, we’re processing as much as we can.
I discovered this amazing combination when I had run out of Strawberry Jam. I had sliced the bananas and scooped out the ice cream, but there was no strawberry in the frig. The only flavor I had that even sounded good with ice cream was Passion Fruit Butter. I poured it on the sundae and was not prepared for the amazing flavor infusion.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Passion Fruit Butter
Combine ice cream, sliced bananas and pour Passion Fruit Butter on top. Now enjoy!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons Steve’s Akaka Falls Farm Passion Fruit Bhut Jolokia
2 tablespoon sliced fresh garlic
Salt and 10 whole pepper corns
3 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup sherry
1/4 pound portobello mushrooms
2 1 inch thick steaks (1 pound each)Fresh parsley for garnish
Directions1.Light a charcoal grill. In a bowl, whisk the olive oil with the hot pepper jam. Add steak and garlic. Marinade steak at room temperature for 45 minutes.2.In a saute pan, stir the shallots over medium-low heat with olive oil. Add cleaned and sliced mushrooms after shallots have started to caramelize… 20-25 minutes. Next add the sherry, lower the temperature and let simmer to reduce the sauce for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.3.Season the steaks generously with salt and slice slivers in the steak to insert the peppercorns and garlic slices. Grill the steaks over high heat, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice meat and serve with the sauteed mushrooms.Garnish with fresh parsley.
Baklava – Hawaiian Style
16 oz. package of phyllo dough
16 oz. chopped macadamia nuts, pistachios & coconut
1 cup melted butter
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp food grade rose water (from health food stores)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a baking dish.
- Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to keep it from drying out.
- Place two sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and rose water, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the syrup over it. Let cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.