Baklava – Hawaiian Style
16 oz. package of phyllo dough
16 oz. chopped macadamia nuts, pistachios & coconut
1 cup melted butter
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp food grade rose water (from health food stores)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a baking dish.
- Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to keep it from drying out.
- Place two sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and rose water, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the syrup over it. Let cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.
– recipe courtesy of: l-alexandrea.com Food Blog